Tuesday, November 5, 2013
You Cannot Diagnose Someone Over the Phone
There are so many things wrong with this article. What happened at Salon? Did someone stop being an editor? Jeebus.
1. Nice ad for Apple. What happens if you don't have an iPhone. You die! That's what.
2. No cardiologist should diagnose or treat someone over the phone.
3. You are having a cardiac event and you're not on your way to the emergency room? You haven't called 911? What's wrong with you?
4. How sensitive or accurate is an ECG if it doesn't have all the leads? I've had the ECG with four or five leads and then I've had the one with all of the required leads. The difference is accuracy, as far as I can tell. More leads, more accurate.
5. What if the treatment for the A-fib made it worse? How does the patient get in touch with the doctor when he's treating his patient via phone while flying?
I mean, honestly. The risks of malpractice are enormous here. Or am I wrong?